Great Idea!

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I really like the first tab preview function.  This is something that Lotus Notes did back in the early 90's.  It will allow us as developers to get away from the awful treeview structures that Windows loves so much.  In my opinion, people don't really like treeviews, but rather a nice ordered tab approach.  If each tab could hold mulitple tabs like the first one when more than one tab is opened, then you would have a Lotus Notes like application view.  

Couple of things I noticed right away when testing it...  If there are a lot of tabs, it appears to slow down substantially.  But because I'm interested in this, I'll see if I can't track down the slow symptoms that I saw today.  Other than that, this is a great way to present lots of information to end users.

Coordinator
Mar 3, 2010 at 2:33 PM

xzz0195,

Glad you like FabTab. Thanks for the feedback.  I'm not familiar with Lotus Notes, one question, when you say "if each tab could hold multiple tabs like the first one when more than one tab is opened" I'm not quite sure what you mean. Does each tab also have a "nested tab" that itself also has the "first" or "Content Tab"? If you could clarify, I'd appreciate it.

I agree on the performance.  So when I added support for the "live" tooltips that you see when you hover over a FabTabItem's header I had to write code that updated all the snapshots of the all FabTabItems every time the user selects a different tab, and thus that code seemed to decrease the performance.  To see this in FabTabControl in the OnSelectionChanged(), comment out this line:

UpdateContentsTabViewsIfNecessary();

If memory serves the performance will be faster then.  But then if you make changes to a tab, and then select a different tab, the tool tip for the first tab will be "out of date". Perhaps I can come up with a way to only update the snapshot for the tooltip if the user actually hovers over the tab header.

In the meantime if you find any other performance issues or find other bottlenecks in the code, please let me know.

Thanks!

Josh